Freephone : 0800 083 9374



Business Rates Appeals

  • What are business rates?
  • Business rates are a tax on your property based on its rental value as at 1 April 2008. The Valuation Office Agency is responsible for assessing the rateable value of all non-domestic properties in England and Wales. The Assessor has the same task in Scotland. Your Local Council collects the business rates based on the rateable value, uniform business rate and transitional and other reliefs.
  • Can I appeal my business rates?
  • All properties were revalued from 1 April 2010 in England, Wales and Scotland. In England and Wales you can still appeal your rateable value. In Scotland initial appeals had to be made by 30th September 2010 and now there are only limited circumstances in which appeals can be made.
  • What is a business rates appeal?
  • This is an appeal made to the Valuation Office Agency in England and Wales or the Assessor in Scotland to challenge the rateable value which is used to calculate your business rates liability. The grounds for an appeal will challenge the accuracy of the rating assessment and will take into account evidence of rental values on the property itself and in the locality and any changes to the property or locality which may affect rental values and therefore the rateable value.
  • Can everyone use your service?
  • No, in general we cannot help businesses that occupy one property with a rateable value of less than £20,000. For properties with smaller rateable values in England, Wales and Scotland a small business rate relief scheme operates. Occupiers will be eligible for this relief if they occupy only one business property and the rateable value of that property is below a certain level. Eligibility for relief should be checked with your local Council who administer the scheme.
  • What happens if my property is empty?
  • Empty property rate relief will apply. Office and retail properties will be exempt from rate payment for three months from first becoming vacant and industrial properties exempt from paying rates for six months from the date of first becoming vacant. Thereafter 100% rates is payable. There are other circumstances where properties may be exempt and again full details can be checked with your local Council.
  • When is the next rating revaluation?
  • The next scheduled revaluation is 1st April 2015 however the Government are currently considering proposals to postpone the revaluation to the 1st April 2017 and it is likely that this will be the case. There are similar proposals for Scotland.

Posted in: Cost-Faqs, Cost-Site-Faqs

Electricity & Gas

  • How much notice do I have to give my existing supplier if I wish to change?
  • You must give your current supplier at least 4 weeks’ notice prior to the expiration of your current contract that you are considering changing supplier. Some suppliers need 90 or even 120 days notice. You should check the specific terms of your current contract but most require at least this period of notice otherwise your supplier may be entitled to automatically renew your contract at a much higher rate. It does not matter if you serve notice to your current supplier and then after you receive the renewal quotes you decide to continue with your current supplier. You have at least protected yourself and preserved your ability to choose the most appropriate contract by giving the contractually required notice.
  • Am I allowed to change electricity and gas supplier whenever I want?
  • You can certainly change suppliers whenever you like as long as you are not under contract with a particular supplier. If you are under contract, you must refer to your specific terms & conditions and serve the relevant notice.
    Since deregulation of the energy markets in late 1998, changing supplier to obtain a more favourable rate for electricity or gas has become commonplace. Thousands of businesses change electricity and gas supplier every month and lower their bills. We do the hard work for you by sourcing the most competitive electricity or gas supplier for your type of business.

Posted in: Cost-Faqs, Cost-Site-Faqs


  • How long does it take to obtain a quote ?
  • Many smaller businesses can receive a quotation over the phone, however if your business is larger or your cover requirements are more complex it may require a visit. Arthur J. Gallagher will explain this during your call and if relevant will seek make an appointment with you at the soonest convenient time .
  • Do you deal with more than one insurer ?
  • Yes, Arthur J. Gallagher is one of the world’s leading insurance brokers and have access to many insurers and also to Lloyds of London.
  • If I have any questions after I have taken out a policy is there support available ?
  • Yes when you receive your documents from Arthur J. Gallagher, it will contain their contact details for you
  • I am a larger customer, will I get a personal service ?
  • When you discuss your requirements with Arthur J. Gallagher, you will be advised if a visit is necessary. If that is the case then one of Arthur J. Gallagher’s Client Executives will handle everything personally for you.

Posted in: Cost-Faqs, Cost-Site-Faqs

Office Supplies

  • Do I open the account with CNG Business Services and the supplier?
  • No, you just open the account with the supplier and then you order directly from them.
  • Can your supplier deliver nationwide?
  • Yes, our supplier can deliver nationwide
  • How long does it take to open an account?
  • An account can be open in only a couple of days
  • What if I want to buy something which is not on the list of items initially submitted?
  • Just ring your account manager to request a specially reduced rate. The reductions that will apply will depend on whether an item is OEM or a high-quality generic.

Posted in: Cost-Faqs, Cost-Site-Faqs

Telephone Calls

  • When did it become possible to switch telephone supplier?
  • Deregulation in the telephone markets began in 1984, but it is only much more recently that switching telephone supplier has come within the reach of most businesses. Like switching electricity supplier, switching telephone supplier is an easy, and much misunderstood process.
  • How does switching suppliers actually work?
  • Switching supplier is also known as Carrier Pre-Selection, or CPS. CPS entails all telephone calls you make being automatically re-routed at your local exchange to the new supplier, but you maintain the telephone line and telephone number with British Telecom. BT will still own, run and send you bills for your line rental, and your secondary CPS supplier will bill you for calls made through them.
  • Can I switch my line provider too?
  • Yes, of course you can. We can help you save money on your line rental, as well as the call costs. Plus, we can save you money on your broadband too,
  • Do I keep the same number if I change supplier?
  • Yes, your number stays the same and you will notice no difference in the service provided.

Posted in: Cost-Faqs, Cost-Site-Faqs